KIDS HELP PHONE; 1-800-668-6868
Call 705-272-4497 Extension #257
CLICK HERE TO EMAIL
CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE AKWE-GO FACEBOOK PAGE
What is The Akwe: Go Program?
The Akwe: Go Program is a new program funded by the Ministry of Child and Youth Services. This program has been specifically designed to provide a comprehensive program to urban Aboriginal children between the ages of 7 - 12. The goal of the program is to provide at-risk urban Indigenous children with the support, tools and healthy activities which will build upon and foster their inherent ability to make healthy choices. It has been designed based on a fundamental principle: To improve the quality of life of urban Aboriginal children through the delivery of culturally appropriate programs and services.
Highlights of the Program
Client based programming; the majority of programming will be one on one.
Development and implementation of a full range of program services.
Ensure that the program is grounded in culture based child development and principles.
To promote awareness and ensure access to the Akwe:Go Program
Coordinating individual activities (physical and social) as required to meet the needs of the children.
Increasing cultural understanding of children and their families.
Contact Ann at 705-272-4497 Ext. #257
The Akwe: Go Program focuses on 5 components in the delivery of the program to meet the specific needs of the clients. They include:
1. Provision of Social Supports: Life skills, anger management, character building, Elder teachings
2. Health & Physical Development: Nutritious meals & snacks, increased access to physical and recreational activities
3. Institutional Interventions: School suspension supports, positive behavior & attitude, referrals
4. Children in Care: Outreach to children in care, culturally appropriate services to non-native adoptive and foster parents.
5. FAS/FASD & Disabilities: Parent support component which includes basic coping skills, tools and preventative education
For More Information or to Register, Contact Us;
Phone; 705-272-4497 Ext. #257 Fax; 705-272-3597
Copyright 2008 Ininew Friendship Centre